What is Surgery-First Approach Orthognathic Surgery?
- Surgery on upper jaw(maxillary bone) and lower jaw(mandibular bone)
- Therapeutic correction of location and function of jaws in prognathism, asymmetrical face, and others
- Excellent and effective in improving facial appearance of those with abnormal facial ratio and a long face
“id Surgery-First Approach Orthognathic Surgery has shortened the recovery period by 1 year and 6 months with no orthodontic treatment before surgery.”
Difference between Surgery-First Approach and traditional orthognathic surgery
People often ask the question, “is Surgery-First Approach different from orthognathic surgery?” Surgery-First Approach refers to orthognathic surgery that performs the surgery first, and it is a term used for distinguishing itself from traditional orthognathic surgery that performs surgery AFTER orthodontic treatment. Therefore, it can be explained in the following sequence, Surgery-First approach performs the surgery followed by orthodontic treatment – whereas normal orthognathic surgery requires orthodontic treatment first and surgery afterward.
id Hospital: The first Hospital to introduce Surgery-First Approach Orthognathic Surgery!
Patients with malocclusion wanted to get rid of the discomfort as soon as possible, and a lot of patients suffered from worsening symptoms of protruding jaw caused by orthodontic treatment before surgery. In order to minimize such pain and burden, id introduced Surgery-First Approach in Korea.
★ From introducing Surgery-First Approach to holding a symposium
- 2003 Introduced Surgery-First Approach in Korea
- 2004 Presented research paper on Surgery-First Approach at The Korean Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- 2012 Operated Demo Live Surgery-First Approach Orthognathic Surgery for the first time in Korea
★ 95% of patients getting Surgery-First Approach Orthognathic Surgery at id Hospital
- Ever since the orthognathic surgery was first performed in 2003, 95% of 3,000 patients have undergone this surgery.
Core techniques of Surgery-First Approach Orthognathic Surgery
Inter-department Planning Conference
Maxillary and mandibular osteotomy using MSS
Excellent orthodontic treatment effect through SAS
Ensured safety and minimized errors by using 3D-CT
Benefits of Surgery-First Approach Orthognathic Surgery
Shortened treatment period of Surgery-First Approach Orthognathic Surgery by 1 year and 6 months
No preparation period required, immediate improvement
Can get surgery at any time you want, no orthodontic treatment required before surgery
Short treatment period
No orthodontic treatment before surgery, overall treatment period shortened
Prevent prognathism from worsening
There’s no teeth movement since there wasn’t any orthodontic treatment before surgery, so the teeth are stable.
Surgery-First Approach with shortened recovery period
Orthognathic surgery has long and tough recovery? NO!
- Normal orthognathic surgery has 2 years of recovery period with orthodontic treatment–surgery–orthodontic treatment
- Operated the first Surgery-First Approach Orthognathic Surgery(pioneer) for a patient with prognathism in 2003
- Fast recovery and surgical result with treatment period shortened by 1 year for 95% of orthognathic patients through Surgery-First Approach
There’s no orthodontic treatment before surgery (1 year and 6 months), preventing prognathism from worsening, and the patients are satisfied by shortened recovery period in id’s Surgery-First Approach Orthognathic Surgery.
2 hour 30 minutes
Removal of stitches
About 2 weeks after
2 weeks~1 month